COVID-19 Response

For the latest updates on the City of Victor Harbor's response to COVID-19 click here

Dismiss alert


The construction and maintence schedule of roads, within the City of Victor Harbor, are programed with reference to the Draft Ten Year Captial Works Program and the Draft General Works Program for each financial year.

For detailed copies of these documents please refer to our Major Projects page.

Roads - General Maintenance

DPTI Managed Roads

Main arterial roads that travel through the City of Victor Harbor are owned and managed by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI). These roads are;

  • Adelaide- Victor Harbor Road
  • Hindmarsh Road
  • Torrens Street
  • Victoria Street
  • George Main Road
  • Inman Valley - Yankalilla Road
  • Hindmarsh Tiers Road

To report a traffic signal fault or road hazard on any of these roads please contact the DPTI Traffic Management Centre – 1800 018 313.

If the matter is not urgent email;

City of Victor Harbor Managed Roads

To report traffic or maintenance issues on roads managed by the City of Victor Harbor, please call Customer Service on 08 8551 0500 or email

Rural Maintenance

All unsealed roads must be inspected not less than at three monthly intervals and that maintenance work be carried out when necessary. Maintenance grading will be carried out at least twice per year on unsealed roads which are milk tanker or school bus routes


For bridges within the City of Victor Harbor please refer to the link.

Street Sweeping Schedule

The sweeping of the City of Victor Harbor road network is currently contracted to Envirosweep.

For a map of the Street Sweeping Schedule for the City of Victor Harbor pleaseclick on the below link:

2017 Map Street Sweeping(459 kb).

Road Permits

Please refer to the Permits and Licences, Roads and Traffic menu.

Other Road Information

Road Reserve - Rights of Way

Council does not involve itself in the maintenance of road reserves which are the subject of private treaties or rights of way.

Construction Standard Rural

Where landowners require road works to be carried out on surveyed road reserves which do not have a constructed road, and where Council work has not already been carried out, the road construction standard as prepared by the Director of Environment and Infrastructure be adopted as a minimum standard. For roads constructed on surveyed roads by an adjoining owner or by Council at the expense of an adjoining owner.

Roadside Spraying

The Director of Environment and Intrastructure shall implement a sealed rural roadside weed spraying program which will keep weeds to a minimum for the purpose of fire control, road protection and sight distances.

Guide Posts on Rural Roads

  1. That the Australian Standard 1742.2 1994, relating to the siting and spacing of guide posts be applied.
  2. That guide posts be placed as funds become available on all sealed roads, followed by minor sealed rural roads and formed rural roads.

Driveway Construction

Applications for a Crossover, Crossing Place and Rural Crossing Places can be located within our Permits and Licences, Footpaths and Nature strips menu.

Surburban Applications

All suburban driveways need Council approval as they open onto Council land e.g. the roadway.  They also need to cross over Council land e.g. naturestrip or footpath.  There are no costs associated with lodging any of these applications.

Rural Applications

Council provides one rural driveway access to rural propertys free of charge from the roadway to the first property boundary.  Any additional works requested will be charged accordingly.