COVID-19 Response

For the latest updates on the City of Victor Harbor's response to COVID-19 click here

Dismiss alert

Fines, Expiations and Expiation disputes

Expiation notices may be issued for offences under many pieces of legislation administered by local government and offences created by council by-laws.

Notices may be served in person or sent in the mail.  For vehicle related offences the notice may also be placed on the vehicle.

Fines can be paid online or at any of our council offices.

Pay Expiation Notice

Enter into a payment arrangement

Payment instalments can be arranged with the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Unit. Please phone 1800 659 538 or visit

What happens if I do nothing?

1. Expiation notice issued. You have 28 days to pay the total amount due to avoid further fees.

2. Reminder notice issued. A reminder notice fee and motor vehicle search fee (if applicable) will be added, approximately $50.50*. A further 14 days is provided to pay the total amount due.

3. Enforcement notice. If you do not pay, enforcement action will be taken. Your fine will be referred to the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Unit.

An enforcement fee and Victims of Crime Levy will be added, approximately $266*.

4. Enforcement action starts. Suspension of your driver's licence. Inability to register a vehicle or renew your licence.

5. Further enforcement action. Money taken from bank account or wage. Placing a charge on land (real estate)

An additional fee of approximately $193*.

6. Escalation action. Your matter referred to a debt collection; clamping and impounding your vehicle; seizing and selling your assets; publishing your name online; and more fees added.

*please note that these fees are subject to change.

How to proceed with your dispute

Don’t delay payment just because you can’t decide what to do. Failure to pay or take any other action within 28 days will result in late fees being added to the original expiation fee. If you believe there is a good reason for you not to pay the expiation, you can:

  • Submit a dispute by completing the online Expiation Dispute Lodgement form for Parking, Animal or Other disputes.
  • Download and submit a Expiation Dispute Lodgement Form
  • If you were not the driver at the time of the alleged offence, you can complete and forward a Statutory Declaration with the full name and address of the person who was driving
  • Attend in person at the Council's Civic Centre, 1 Bay Road, Victor Harbor 5211
  • Write or email the City of Victor Harbor, PO BOX 11, Victor Harbor 5211, or explaining your objection. Please include your contact details, the Infringement Notice Number and the vehicle registration (if applicable)
  • Have your case heard by a court. You can choose to have your matter dealt with in the Magistrate’s Court by notifying the the City of Victor Harbor PO BOX 11, Victor Harbor 5211, or

Expiation Schedule of Fees

2020/21 Fees and Charges