While Victor Harbor generally enjoys a mild climate, we can experience heatwaves.
It is important to prepare for heatwaves to make sure we stay safe and well during this time. It is particularly important to keep an eye on those that may be at risk more than others, such as babies and young children, the elderly and our animals.
Tips for staying healthy in the heat
The SES website has a range of resources that will support you before, during and after a heatwave.
Some of the things you can do to stay healthy in the heat:
- Drink plenty of water
- Stay cool with a fan or air conditioner
- Avoid going out in the hottest part of the day
- Keep curtains, blinds and windows closed during the day to keep your home cool
- Cool off with a shower or bath
- Look out for family, friends and the elderly
- Check the weather forecast so you know when hot weather is coming
- If you go outside during the day, wear loose-fitting, long-sleeved and light coloured clothing, a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.