COVID-19 Response

For the latest updates on the City of Victor Harbor's response to COVID-19 click here

Dismiss alert

Event Permits

The City of Victor Harbor is committed to promoting the region and providing activities and events that encourage a vibrant community culture and community interaction, in an ecological sustainable manner.

COVID-19 and Events

Any event approved by the City of Victor Harbor will be subject to having an approved COVID Safe Plan or COVID Management Plan from SA Health prior to the event being held. Information on how to lodge COVID Safe Plans and COVID Management Plans is available on the SA Health website.

South Australian Tourism Commission have developed a South Australian Events COVID-19 Guideline to assist the events, festivals and entertainment industry to deliver COVID-safe events (that attract mass gatherings) in South Australia and help protect workers, patrons and the broader community. Visit the SATC website for COVID-19 event resources and to download the guideline.

Event Permits

To conduct events and organised activities on City of Victor Harbor reserves, ovals and waterways applicants must submit an application to Council on one of the following  forms.

Not all activities held in public spaces require a permit, and may be considered general use of a public space.  Please phone the Environment & Infrastructure team on 8551 0500, who will assist you to determine if you are required to complete a Special Event Permit application.


Event Permit type

Use of a Council reserve, oval or road for a special event. Examples - music events, food and wine festivals, parades, sporting events, fun runs, cultural celebrations, charity and fundraising events.

Special Event Permit

Road Closure Request

For ongoing periodic use of a reserve, oval or beach for once off or regular fitness activities.

Fitness Activity Permit

For wedding ceremonies on Council land and/or beaches.

Wedding Permit

Schools, sporting clubs, commercial businesses and special events require an Aquatic Activity Permit to undertake organised aquatic activities in Encounter Lakes and Franklin Island waterways.

Aquatic Activities Permit

Regular outdoor markets are administered through a lease arrangement. Contact Council's Property Officer to discuss.

Regulars Markets

Event type and lodgment deadlines

In accordance with Council's Festivals and Events Policy, all new major events require approval by Elected Members at a Council meeting, and require a minimum of twelve (12) weeks notice.

All medium and major event organisers are requested to speak with Council’s Festivals and Events Officer on (08) 8551 0500 prior to lodging a Special Event Permit as additional supporting documentation is likely to be required.

Event Type


Lodgment deadlines (minimum)

Major Event

An event expecting to attract over 1000 people at any one time, or requires installation of significant infrastructure, temporary road closures, or where exemptions have been requested for amplified music.  Examples: large music or cultural events, food & wine festivals, parades, large sporting events.

Twelve (12) weeks

Medium Event

An event expecting to attract between 200 and 1000 people at any one time, or requires installation of moderate infrastructure, liquor licensing and/or requests permission to include commercial stall holders. Examples: fun runs, music events, cultural celebrations.

Minimum eight (8) weeks

Minor Event

An event expecting to attract up to 200 people at any one time, involves installation of minimal infrastructure, not-for-profit trade stalls. Examples: small charity events, group gatherings, weddings.

Minimum four (4) weeks

Event Spaces

Many event spaces exist throughout the City of Victor Harbor that are managed by Council, the Department of Environment and Water (DEW) or the Department of Infrastructure and Transport (DIT), this includes National Parks and bodies of water, sporting grounds along with parks and reserves.

Information on Council operated reserves and public buildings is available on the Locate or Hire a Facility page on Council’s website.  Further information on state government operated national parks and waterways and event permits is available here {insert link}.

Site availability: If you wish to use Council land for your event, please contact Council prior to lodging any application to check site availability, and discuss the application process.

Use of sporting grounds: If the request is seeking use of a sporting licensed area, Council is required to negotiate dates between the relevant licensees and the applicant.  Note: Use of club rooms by an event is arranged through direct negotiation between the applicant and the club, Council staff can provide contact details to the organisers.

The use of Council land is subject to the terms and conditions of use outlined in the Events on Reserves - Terms and Conditions.

Fees and Charges

Fees and charges apply for the use of Council reserves.
Refer to page 8 of the 2020/21 Fees and Charges.

Forms and further information

Special Event Permit Application Form

Event Road Closure Request Application Form

Event Risk Management Template

Event Emergency Response Template

Events on Reserves - Terms and Conditions

Festivals and Events Sponsorship Program


Stacey Richardson
Festivals and Events Officer
Available: Monday to Thursday 9am to 2:30pm, Friday 9am to 12pm
Phone: (08) 8551 0500