Audit Committee - Independent Member
The City of Victor Harbor is seeking Expressions of Interest from suitably qualified and experienced persons for appointment to the Council’s Audit Committee as an Independent Member.
About the position
The Committee, compromising two Council Members and up to three Independent Members, meets at least quarterly and is required to discharge statutory Audit Committee obligations under the Local Government
The primary objective of the Audit Committee is to assist Council in the effective conduct of its responsibilities for financial reporting, review and monitoring of risk management systems and maintaining a reliable system of internal controls.
The term of office for the Independent Member is up to four years. It is anticipated that the Independent Member will be appointed by Council in February/March 2021 to attend their first meeting of the Audit Committee in May 2021.
The Audit Committee is established pursuant to Section 126 of the Local Government Act 1999 and Local Government (Financial Management) Regulations 2011 for the purpose of:
- reviewing annual financial statements to ensure that they present fairly the state of affairs of the council;
- reviewing the adequacy of Council-wide risk management systems on a regular basis;
- proposing, and providing information relevant to, a review of the Council’s strategic management plans or annual business plan;
- proposing, and reviewing, the exercise of powers under section 130A relating to efficiency and economy audits;
- liaising with the Council's auditor; and
- reviewing the adequacy of the accounting, internal control, reporting and other financial management systems and practices of the council on a regular basis.
Further information is available in this information sheet.
How to apply
Expressions of Interest should clearly outline the applicant’s qualifications and experience in their particular field, and should include the following information:
- Completed nomination form
- Current curriculum vitae; and
- Referees (names and contact phone numbers of at least two professional referees that can attest to the experience and expertise of the nominee).
The successful Independent Member will be appointed in consideration of the following criteria.
- Essential criteria
- Tertiary qualifications and significant experience in one or more of the following areas is required: Business Management, Finance, Audit, Governance and Risk Management
- Sound committee meeting skills – experience on audit or similar committee / board;
- High level verbal communication skills; and
- Well-developed interpretative and analytical skills.
- Desirable criteria
- Relevant understanding of the City of Victor Harbor
- Local Government experience
Expressions of Interest should be addressed to the City of Victor Harbor Chief Executive Officer, and returned before 5pm on 5 February 2021 by:
- Post: PO Box 11, Victor Harbor SA 5211
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: City of Victor Harbor Civic Centre, 1 Bay Road, Victor Harbor
- Local Government Act 1999
- City of Victor Harbor Website
- Audit Committee Agenda and Minutes
- Audit Committee Terms of Reference
- Information Sheet - Audit Committee Independent Member
- Nomination Form - Audit Committee Independent Member
- Advertisement - Audit Committee Independent Member
For any further information please contact Kellie Knight-Stacey, Director of Corporate and Customer Services on 8551 0500.