COVID-19 Response

For the latest updates on the City of Victor Harbor's response to COVID-19 click here

Dismiss alert

Lodging a Development Application

Do I need Development Approval?

A Development application must be lodged every time you wish to undertake development.

Development refers to a wide range of activities associated with but not limited to:

  • changes in land use
  • advertising displays
  • land division and community title division
  • building work.

There are a number of assessment pathways that your application can take and this is dictated by the Development Regulations 2008 and the Development Act 1993.

Certain activities may not require Development Approval and these activities are outlined in Schedule 3 of the Development Regulations 2008.

How to lodge

When submitting a development application the City of Victor Harbor requires essential information from the applicant. This information can be provided to Council:

  • in person at the Civic Centre, 1 Bay Road Victor Harbor; or
  • via post to PO Box 11 Victor Harbor; or
  • via email to

To facilitate an efficient and timely assessment you will need to supply the following information:

  • Completed Development Application Forms;
  • Payment of the required development fee;
  • A recent copy of the Certificate of Title;
  • Two copies of site and building plans (see below).

Site plans

You need to provide a properly scaled site plan, drawn to a recommended scale of 1:100 (1 cm represents 1 m) or 1:200 (1 cm represents 2 m), showing:

  • All boundaries of the site, including all measurements and site area, north point and scale;
  • Location of existing buildings, identifiable landmarks and easements on the site;
  • Adjoining properties, showing the location and outline of adjacent buildings;
  • An internal floor plan of all existing rooms and buildings and a description of their uses;
  • Details of site drainage and roof/stormwater disposal (on-site disposal and/or re-use preferred);
  • Existing and proposed landscaping, including a landscaping schedule showing new planting species and proposed tree removal;
  • Location and nature or proposed retaining walls, details of earthworks - cut and/or fill;
  • Vehicular access points from adjoining roads onto the land (clear of street trees, stobie poles etc.);
  • Car parking spaces for occupants and visitors including the method of delineation and surfacing;
  • The type, height and construction of boundary and internal fencing; and
  • Existing contours of the land, including bench levels of the site and finished floor levels of proposed building work in relation to any street, drainage channel or council drain.
  • Elevation plans (drawn to scale of at least 1:100) and dimensions showing external building materials, finishes and colour/s to be used

Other details for Building Rules Assessment

When Building Rules Consent (Building) is required, the following detailed information and drawings must also be supplied:

  • The Construction Industry Training Fund Levy for development costing more than $40,000;
  • Housing Indemnity Insurance Certificate, where applicable (for development costing more than $12,000);
  • Roof, wall and floor layouts;
  • Specifications and schedules of work to be undertaken;
  • Wind speed determination;
  • Wall, roof bracing and tie down details;
  • Engineer’s footing construction report and any other structural details;
  • Wet area details;
  • Retaining wall details (if required); and
  • Stair and balustrade details.

In some cases you will need to consider other factors in designing your development and include additional information when you lodge your application. These cases include:

  • Disabled access for prescribed buildings (commercial properties);
  • Areas subject to flooding;
  • Building on a boundary etc.

Requirements for plans of land division

The Development Regulations 2008 set out extensive and very specific requirements for drafting land division plans.

Land Division applications must be lodged via the State Commission Assessment Panel

For more forms and help guides see Development Applications