27 March 2020 - Supporting our community now and into the future
The City of Victor Harbor has been focused on ensuring there are measures in place to keep its community safe at this critical time. However, the Council is also acutely aware that there are many local businesses in need of economic and financial support now.
City of Victor Harbor Mayor, Dr Moira Jenkins called a Special Council meeting this afternoon where the Council considered and adopted some immediate relief to support its community. Immediate support measures that were adopted include:
- 100% refund of outdoor dining permit fees for the period of 1 March 2020 to 30 August 2020.
- 100% fee free period for small businesses who have a commercial lease or license agreement with Council from 1 March 2020 to 30 June 2020.
- Deferral of community and sporting group loan repayments for a 12 month period from 1 March 2020.
- No fines or interest for late rate payments and suspension of debt collection activities from 1 March 2020 to 30 June 2020.
- Council rates payment due date extension to 30 June 2020.
The Council also made it clear that it has prioritised investigations into a broader range of mid to long term relief measures that will be implemented through its 2020/21 budget process.
“The impact of COVID-19 has already hit our community hard, and introducing this immediate support package is one way Council can provide support this sector of the community,” said Dr Jenkins.
“We also acknowledge that we have a long road ahead of us. Rest assured that Council will be doing more to help our community through this time and in the recovery phase at the other end.”
“Our 2020/21 budget will focus on measures that will ease the financial burden on our residents, businesses and community groups. The Council has an important leadership role to play, and we will continue to step up for our community.”
“The Council also has a number of bill softening options for ratepayers having difficulties with rate payments, and we encourage people to call and talk through these options with our rates team.”
Visit www.victor.sa.gov.au/coronavirus for more information about the City of Victor Harbor’s COVID-19 response.