23 March 2020 - COVID-19 Response: Changes to Council Services
Over the weekend further measures were introduced by government authorities to help slow the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
This included closure of South Australian borders from 4pm on 24 March and the closure of registered and licensed clubs (excluding bottle shops attached to these venues), pubs, hotels (excluding accommodation), gyms, indoor sporting venues, cinemas, casinos, entertainment venues, restaurants and cafes (which will be restricted to take away and/or home delivery), places of worship, weddings, funerals (other than very small groups with the 4 square metre per person rule applied).
The City of Victor Harbor recognises the importance of a nationally consistent approach to measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 including discouraging non-essential gatherings and ensuring social distancing practices are in place and followed.
In line with this, effective immediately, Council has implemented further changes to our services:
- Library – There will be restricted entry at the library. Borrowing services are available through our new call and collect service by phoning 8551 0730, or by using the Libraries SA App to browse the catalogue and place holds for collection. Additional resources will be deployed to support a higher demand for our home delivery service which can be arranged by calling the number above. Public computers will still be available by request, and bookings are essential. The library is also looking to live stream some children’s programs which includes story time and craft activities. Further details will be provided in the near future at www.victor.sa.gov.au/library
- Victor Harbor Visitor Information Centre – The Visitor Information Centre will cease face to face visitor services and focus on delivering information online via www.encountervictorharbor.com.au and through the visitor services phone line 1800 557 094.
- South Australian Whale Centre – closed until further notice with staff deployed to assist with the delivery of services to support our community.
- Coral Street Art Space (including planned exhibitions) – closed until further notice.
- Mainstreet Easter Hunt and Artisan Market – cancelled.
The Council is also looking at how it can support community members who are impacted by COVID-19 both in the short and long term. We understand that for the foreseeable future we are going to have to do things differently, and adapt what we do and how we deliver our services to best meet the needs of our community.
When it comes to slowing the spread of the virus, we ALL have a role to play. It is highly important that we observe the principles of social distancing and practice good hygiene by washing our hands and surfaces regularly.
We encourage our community to continue to be informed through the Australian Government Department of Health (www.health.gov.au) and SA Health (www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/COVID19).
For more information about changes to Council services and links to trusted information sources visit www.victor.sa.gov.au/coronavirus or call 8551 0500.