16 March 2020 - Council response to Caronavirus (COVID-19)
The City of Victor Harbor is closely monitoring the information being provided by both the Australian and South Australian Governments relating to Coronavirus.
The Council is continuing business as usual with a few protocols in place to help keep people safe. Our community should have the same approach, going about your daily lives as normal at the same time as being extra vigilant about looking after your own hygiene, looking out for each other, and staying informed.
The best defence against most viruses, including Coronavirus, is practicing good hygiene:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water
- Cover your cough/sneeze and dispose of tissues
- Avoid contact with others if you are unwell
Social distancing can also help you keep healthy. This means less contact between you and other people. In line with this, the Council will be implementing a number of measures with the welfare of our community and staff in mind.
- Live Streaming of Public Meetings
Council will live stream meetings that are open to the public (where possible) to mitigate the need for members of the public to come into the Civic Centre and observe meetings. Links to the live stream will be made available via the latest news section on Council’s website homepage.
- Encouraging the use of online services We encourage the community to utilise and familiarize themselves with the range of online services available. You can make payments, apply for permits or submit applications via our website. If you have general inquiries, you can make them via our website, Facebook page or by calling us on (08) 8551 0500. Library members also have access to eBooks, eAudiobooks and digital magazines.
- Social distancing
When dealing with others, individuals will be asked to keep a distance of 1.5 metres between people whenever possible. Our staff have also been encouraged to stay home if they are feeling unwell, and members of the public are urged to do the same.
- Community Support Programs Council is in contact with users of our community support services and will continue to provide updates and advice as required. If users have any concerns, they are encouraged to contact Program Coordinators by calling (08) 8551 0500. As mentioned above, at this stage there is no change to services.
- Council events At this stage, no Council events are required to be cancelled. Measures will be put in place to help keep people safe and minimise physical contact. If anything changes, updates will be posted to this webpage and announced via Council’s Facebook page.
Council will continue to facilitate the flow of information from the Australian and South Australian Governments’ to our community. There is a lot of information out there about Coronavirus, and this can be overwhelming for some people.
It is important that you keep up to date with the latest information from official Government sources. Links are available on Council’s website: www.victor.sa.gov.au/coronavirus